One-to-one support to parents and caregivers who have young people with behavioral health needs, including mental health and substance use challenges, is now available in the tri-county area of St. Mary’s, Calvert and Charles counties through the Maryland Coalition of Families (MCF). Services are provided free to families and no referral is needed.
Using personal experience as parents, caregivers and young people, MCF connects, supports and empowers Maryland’s families. MCF empowers parents, caregivers and young people to be leaders for themselves and others by:
- Helping to navigate services and systems
- Giving tools to advocate
- Connecting parents, caregivers and young people to each other
- Ensuring voice and perspective is heard
- Raising awareness and fighting stigma
- Listen to concerns
- Attend meetings with the family
- Assist with completing forms
- Explain rights
- Make connections to appropriate services
- Provide learning opportunities
- Provide opportunities to meet other families
Family Peer Support is provided in partnership by the Core Service Agencies of Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s.