MCF offers two family leadership training opportunities each year, the Family Leadership Institute and the Family Leadership Retreat. These programs focus on enhancing parent and caregiver skills so they can better navigate systems of care for their children.
Family Leadership Institute
The Family Leadership Institute (FLI) is a 60-hour, six-weekend intensive training program for parents and caregivers of a child or adolescent with mental health and/or other behavioral health needs. FLI is offered annually, usually running from January to April.
Family Leadership Institute participants will:
- Learn more about mental/behavioral health services and how to access supports
- Connect with key leaders in child-serving agencies in Maryland
- Make a difference for children with mental health/behavioral needs
- Meet and learn from other parents
- Gain skills needed to be a successful leader
The Family Leadership Institute is a program that:
- Prepares parents and caregivers to be better advocates for their child and all children and youth who have mental health/behavioral challenges.
- Prepares parents to be leaders in improving our system of care for children with mental health behavioral challenges.
Registration for the 2023 Family Leadership Institute is now closed!
Please watch this page for more details about next year's Institute!
Family Leadership Retreat
The Family Leadership Retreat (FLR) is a two-day training program for parents and caregivers of a child or adolescent with mental health and/or other behavioral health needs. FLR occurs twice a year, in the spring and fall, and takes place in different regions of the state.
FLR provides a welcoming space for you to learn how to help your child by:
- Collaborating with your child’s school
- Empowering you to promote the needs of your child, family and community
- Taking care of yourself
MCF is pleased two offer two Family Leadership Retreats this Spring.
The first Family Leadership Retreat will be offered VIRTUALLY to members of our Spanish-speaking community on June 2nd and 3rd.
If you need language assistance to complete the application, please contact DeVaki Leonard at [email protected]
The second Family Leadership Retreat will be held in Baltimore City at the Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor on June 16th and 17th.
Why should parents and caregivers take a leadership class?
Access to information, training, resources and skill building opportunities
Become a more effective leader in building a better system of care for children and youth
Meet and learn from many dedicated leaders and professionals in the children’s mental/behavioral health field
Make connections and share information, stories and support with parents from all over Maryland